Deasbaireachd a' chleachdaiche:Eoghan
Hi Eoghan, I was just wondering, are you the driving force behind this Wikipedia? It could really use some promotion elsewhere on the web... do you think you might be up to spreading the word?
- Hallo 184.108.40.206 a charaid. No, I'm not the prime mover here, but I certainly plan to actively work on this, time permitting! I would like to translate some of the Wikipedia keywords, but don't know how. What promotion would you suggest? By the way, could you de-anonmyize yourself, please. Eoghan 17:04, 2 Nov 2004 (UTC)
I am the nearest thing to a prime mover here but that's not saying much. Unfortunately most of the contributors, including myself have very little Gaelic. So congratulations Eoghan. You just became a sysop and now have the power to change those keywords into better Gaelic if you really want to. I made a start a while ago but the results have been rather hit and miss owing to my total reliance on "dictionary Gaelic". -- Derek Ross | Talk 20:09, 7 Nov 2004 (UTC)
Translation of the week[deasaich an tùs]
Currently we have started a project on meta.wikipedia to get an article translated in as many wikipedias as possible every week. The article will be about a subject that usually gets rarely translated and has a lot of links to other subjects. Currently we have no-one to translate in your language. If someone is interested to participate please see: meta:Translation of the week You can also submit articles from your own languages there that you think deserve translation, but have a small chance of it. The articles must not be to short and not to long and have lots of links to possible other articles! en:user:Waerth
Logo[deasaich an tùs]
I wanted to create a logo for the Gaelic Wikipedia. I need for it the translation of "Wikipedia - the free encyclopedia", where "free" means "unrestrained" and not "no-cost". Best, Node
- I put a request for logo translation up some time ago on meta:Requests for logos but noone has responded yet. The text we have been using here is "An Leabhar Mòr-eòlais Saor", where the word "saor" means free as in freedom. Are you responding from that post? Thanks a lot. Eoghan 16:14, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I have just discovered that an updated logo has existed since May. There is a slight problem in that it says "Mòr-Eòlais" instead of "Mòr-eòlais" but it's good enough until Node has time to do a replacement. It's just that we've never requested that it be switched on. I'll remedy that. -- Derek Ross | deasbair 21:59, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Gasda Derek! Ach se "Mòr-eòlais" air an ìomhaigh aig Wiki.png, nach e? Leis an fhirinn innse, tha e gu math duilich dhomhsa rudan mar sin a lorg anns a'wiki. Eoghan 01:07, 8 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Tapadh leat. Tha e air a-nis. Mhùth mi an ìomhaigh. Chan eil cho duilich dhomsa. I have been working on the Wikipedia for a few years now so I know where most things are. -- Derek Ross | deasbair 05:21, 8 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Stòr-dàta/leabhar mòr-eòlais[deasaich an tùs]
Node, meatbong an-seo,
I don't know if you want to translate Wikipedia, I've noticed most languages don't, apart from the Irish but their orthography allows them to go Vicipedia. The gaelic for free encyclopedia is An Stòr-dàta Saor . Saor has all the same meanings as free does in English, it is only when 'an asgaidh' is used in conjunction with it, is it definitely referring to no-cost. However Leabhar Mòr-eòlais is also used for encyclopedia, but I think that Stòr-dàta is a much more acceptable form especially for the nature of this site.
- Meatbong chòir, "stor-dàta" means database, not encyclopedia, both here in Wikipedia usage and in the wider technologically literate Gaelic world (e.g. "Stor-dàta briathrachais Gàidhlig"). It would be nice if we had a single word for encyclopedia, but the one I sent the logo folks last week is the accepted form. Eoghan 16:24, 7 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I agree that we should use "leabhar mòr-eòlais", but I too wondered about re-spelling "Wikipedia". Technically we should really spell it to avoid the W and the k, perhaps Uacapaedia, or something similar. Dè tha thu a' smaoinich ? -- Derek Ross | deasbair 05:32, 8 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Tha mi a'gabhail leat gu bheil an "k" sin a'coimhead beagan coigreach, ach tha "Uigipidia" caran neonach cuideachd. Codhiu, chan eil am facal "Wikipedia" as a'Bheurla mhalaichte, ach Hawaieis is Greugais.
Lorg mi an seann fhacal "uige" ann an Dwelley, a'ciallachadh "seud", "lion" agus "eolas is tuigse". Nach eil sin freagarrach! Dh'fhaoite gun deanadh sin bunait mhath nan robh sin 'dol a thionnsgal nua-fhacal. Eoghan 00:48, 22 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Haigh, a chara, (Tá súil agam go dtuigeann tú go bhfuil mé ag scríobh seo as Gaeilge na hÉireann! B'fhéidir go dtuigeann.) It is quite possible to translate the php file, but it does take some time and effort to struggle through it - here are my suggestions:
- Download one or two versions of Language.php from the Wikipedia SourceForge project at  (click on view to see the actual files on each page). Having more than one allows you to compare how others translated the same pieces. Specifically, download the file Language.php, and start translating! It will eventually be renamed LanguageGd.php .
- Try and make sure that you understand the meaning of the terms you are translating - as you can imagine there is a lot of specialist vocabulary.
- There is some info on the subject - try en:How_to_start_a_new_Wikipedia for a start.
- Moran taing. One quick question - it seems the Language.php file keeps changing (the one there is only 27 hours old). Are we translators supposed to keep up with it? Eoghan
- Well, not really. As long as you're starting out with the most recent version it should be fine, as most new features added are Template namespace based. But it might be a good idea to do an update every half year or so, just to keep it up to date. -- Gabriel Beecham
Gabh mo lethsgeul[deasaich an tùs]
Tha e coimhead coltach gun ro na atharraichean agam ceàrr. Chan eil an gràmar again fhèin cho math sa lùiginn. Le Meas, AnSiarach 09:05, 15 August 2006 (UTC)
- Na gabh dragh - deasaichidh mi e uair air choireigin. Eoghan 04:44, 31 An Lùnastal 2006 (UTC)
RE Litreachadh[deasaich an tùs]
'S e smuain mhath a tha agad an sin nam bheachdsa. AnSiarach 08:19, 31 An Lùnastal 2006 (UTC)
Matamataigs 7c[deasaich an tùs]
Se 'matamataigs' a th'air an 'category' (category:matamataigs). Ma tha sibh smaoineachadh gu bheil sin cearr, cuiribh a h-uile rud sa chategory seo ri 'matamataig' mas e bhur toil e. Tha category:matamataig falamh, sin mar a tha e dearg. --Creachadair 14:28, 1 September 2006 (UTC)
Scottish Gaelic MediaWiki messages imported into Betawiki[deasaich an tùs]
Hi Eoghan. I see that you have contributed to the messages in the namespace MediaWiki. Thank you for that. As Scottish Gaelic did not yet have any generic messages in MediaWiki (only on this wiki), we imported the messages from Special:Allmessages into betawiki:. Betawiki also supports the translation of messages for 116 extensions, with about 1,600 messages. I would like to invite you to join the Betawiki community and help improve MediaWiki localisation for the languages you are able to contribute to.
If you have any further questions, please let me know on my talk page on Betawiki. We will try and assist you as much as possible. You can also find us on the Freenode IRC network in the channel #mediawiki-i18n where we would be happy to help you get started.
Special:Import[deasaich an tùs]
Name change[deasaich an tùs]
Hi Eoghan, We would like to invite all contributors to take part in the debate to find an appropriate Gaelic form for Wikipedia that doesn't break any rules regarding phonology, intellegibility or forming good neologism. We'd like to invite views/votes from all users here as we'd like to get broad consensus. The debate is here: Name change and - since it involves quite a few technical issues - in English. Le dùrachdan --Sionnach 20:15, 23 dhen Dùbhlachd 2010 (UTC)
Temp Sysop[deasaich an tùs]
Your admin status[deasaich an tùs]
Hello. I'm a steward. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc.) was adopted by community consensus recently. According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on wikis with no inactivity policy.
You meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for 2 years) on gd.wikipedia.org, where you are an administrator. Since this Wikimedia project does not have its own administrators' rights review process, the global one applies.
If you want to keep your rights, you should inform the community of the wiki about the fact that the stewards have sent you this information about your inactivity. If the community has a discussion about it and then wants you to keep your rights, please contact the stewards at m:Stewards' noticeboard, and link to the discussion of the local community, where they express their wish to continue to maintain the rights, and demonstrate a continued requirement to maintain these rights.
We stewards will evaluate the responses. If there is no response at all after approximately one month, we will proceed to remove your administrative rights. In cases of doubt, we will evaluate the responses and will refer a decision back to the local community for their comment and review. If you have any questions, please contact us on m:Stewards' noticeboard.
Best regards, -- Quentinv57 14:16, 22 dhen Ghearrain 2014 (UTC)